Please read and follow the instructions provided in the following document or as outlined below. Sunshine Coast Vasectomy patients – to prevent complications and ensure your procedure goes smoothly, please read the following:
PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUNSHINE COAST VASECTOMY PATIENTS
- Please do not take aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications or fish oil 7 days prior to the procedure
- Please bring a pair of tight underwear or a jockstrap on the day.
- Do not use any powder or deodorant on your scrotum on the day of your procedure
- Please arrive 10-15 minutes prior to your procedure
- Read, print and fill out the Patient Registration Form and Consent Form
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER YOUR NO-SCALPEL VASECTOMY
On the day of the procedure
- Minimize activity immediately after procedure – plan to spend a quiet evening at home, reclining in bed or a lounge chair.
- Preferably take paracetamol only for pain relief
The day after the procedure
- Have a shower the next morning. Since there are no stitches, a gauze pad is left over the wound which is held by your underwear. This can be replaced after showering.
After at least 48 hours from the procedure
- No sports, heavy lifting or gardening for at least 48 hours but you can can return to above duties gradually if pain and tenderness free.
- Wear supportive underwear for 2 days following procedure (7 days if playing sport)
After 1 week
- Sexual intercourse can be commenced. There may be blood in the ejaculate which is normal.
- Please note that you will not be sterile immediately after your vasectomy. This takes at least 12 weeks and 20 ejaculations. Until you are sterile as per your sperm counts, then you should use an alternative form of contraception.
SPERM COUNTS – WHERE TO GO AND WHAT TO DO FOR SUNSHINE COAST VASECTOMY PATIENTS
Sperm counts are required to prove success of your vasectomy.
Sperm counts can be done after a minimum of 12 weeks AND 20 ejaculations after your procedure. Please take a semen sample to either QML or Sullivan Niccolaides pathology. There are a number of locations for both these laboratories for Sunshine Coast vasectomy patients.
Samples need to be collected at home. It is a good idea to call the laboratory to inform them that you will be dropping it off so they can get to work on it straight away. We are interested in the sperm count and not necessarily the function so technically it should not matter if the lab gets it straight away. But following the right procedure for your semen analysis will probably result in more informative results in regards to sperm motility.
Steps to ensure an accurate result as according to Sullivan Niccolaides pathology:
- Obtain a semen collection container from us or from the laboratory itself.
- Make sure you have ejaculated in the last 3-7 days but not within the last 48 hours.
- Go to the toilet to empty your bladder then wash and rinse your penis.
- Collect the sample by masturbating directly into the container. Collect all of the sample (otherwise it may have to be repeated) but do not use condoms or lubricants as this can affect the result.
- Screw the lid on tight, because you do not want the lid to fall off accidentally.
- Record all the details on the jar as set out on the label.
- Deliver it straight away. Try and keep it at room temperature. Do not put it in the fridge or in your pocket.
The contact details and address for Sullivan Niccolaides are as follows for Sunshine Coast Vasectomy patients:
Nucleus Medical Suites
23 Elsa Wilson Drive
Tel:(07) 5459 1400